This past year I was involved in an online class, which
featured an in depth group project worth 50% of the final course mark. The
group consisted of 4 students and the majority of all communications were done
through email, texting and telephone conversations. It was a well-known fact
that the instructor for this particular class was extremely demanding and
possessed a track record for failing students, sometimes more than once.
In the initial planning phase of the project, all 4 team
members were enthusiastic to begin the assignment. There were various emails
sent that professed everyone’s desire to get an A, not only on the project but
on the final course mark. All group members were very motivated and positive
about completing the delegated tasks. Over time, the commitment and attention
to the group objectives began to sharply decline. Regular team contact (emails,
texts and telephone calls) went from every day, down to just once per week.
This team went from 4 enthusiastic individuals, down to 2 students who desperately
wanted to do well. Two students deviated from the project, dropping out of the
class with very little more than a quick email to inform everyone that they
were done. I was one of the remaining 2 students and there was a great deal of
pressure placed on us to take on the responsibility of completing the remainder
of the work. We had to start from square one, going back and re-researching all
of the materials, as the two team members failed to forward on any of their
information gathered. In response to the changing group dynamics, I contacted
the instructor on various occasions and attempted to come up with a solution. Dropping
the class was not something that I could do as I would have lost my tuition
money in the process. I was also not willing to let my group member down by
leaving them alone to complete the remainder of the work.
In the last month of the class, with the project due date
quickly approaching, I received an email from the other student informing me
that she was unable to provide me with any information and would be dropping
the class. I was left with 1 week to come up with the remainder of the project
information. This series of events created a very frustrating experience for me
in completing this class.
The above description of events describes the particular behaviors
and attitudes of certain group members that led to the rapid decline in team
unity and cohesiveness. The following questions and answers make up the
critical incident analysis for the situation noted above.
1) Why do I view the situation like that?
I have a very negative view of this situation. The actions of
the 3 other group members was completely unacceptable, especially for a post-secondary
course. The instructor had high expectations for the students, and I also had
high expectations of my group members.
2) What assumption have I made about the client or problem or
situation?
At the beginning of the course, I had made assumptions that
my group would share the same desire to succeed as myself. Through the duration
of the course, I began to assume that the other project members were possibly
unaware of the extent to the expectations required for the course. I thought
that maybe they had not taken courses previously and were not accustomed to the
deadlines and quality of work required to pass a college level course.
3) How else could I interpret the situation?
There is no other interpretation for this situation. A series
of unfortunate events occurred that caused a lot of stress and confusion.
4) What other action could I have taken that might have been
more helpful?
I really don’t think that I could have done anything to be
more helpful in this situation. I was a leader within this group and I made a
constant effort to schedule deadlines, organize the delegation of work and be a
liaison between my work group and instructor. Everyone involved in the project
was an adult and therefore should accept responsibility for their own work.
5) What will I do if I am faced with a similar situation in
the future?
If I was to face a similar situation in the future, I would
approach the instructor sooner than I did. I would analyze the situation from
the very beginning and decipher whether or not I was in a group that was going
to be beneficial to my own personal outcome. From now on, I will attempt to
complete projects on my own, as I would rather do things independently than
depend on others who aren’t capable.
Hi Cassandra,
ReplyDeleteYou have posted some great and encouraging comments on my blog and I came to the realization I had not done the same, so I'm taking the time to do so. The situation you were involved in makes me frustrated just reading it, it would be one thing if you were at work and could deal with people face to face or if there were consequences for their actions but on an online course what really could you do.