Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Reflective Blog 9-2: My Change Theory-Inspired by Gordon Ramsey

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/hotel-hell/EP01478786

Last night I was watching a new show on t.v called "Hotel Hell", featuring the infamous Gordon Ramsey. In this particular episode, he visited a high end country estate rooming house that was in desperate need of a transformation. After an exasperating few days of observing the hotel owners fail at their business tasks, Gordon Ramsey confidently stated his objective of instituting some much needed change.

I am inspired by the knowledge and business sense that Ramsey possesses and would hope that I could manage organizational change as effectively as he does.  My own personal change theory includes thoroughly identifying/reviewing the cause for concern, introducing the change to the organization accompanied by positive rewards/benefits and following up the organizational transformation with positive attention and affirmation to the employees.

In the first aspect of my theory, I would ensure that much thought and attention was placed on the discovery and acknowledgement of the problem. I would make it clear that the road to finding a solution would not be possible, unless employees were able to contribute their ideas, concerns and critiques of the situation. I would organize special meetings for various levels of staff and these would be dedicated to identifying the current issues being experienced within the company. I think it would be great to make the employees feel like their opinions matter within the business.

The second aspect would involve incorporating the desired change, accompanied by positive rewards and benefits for the staff. To ease the stress and related issues with the transformation, extra perks would be made available (bonus flex days, extra holidays days, gift cards, company excursions, etc.) These positive activities/monetary symbols would go hand in hand with change. It would help staff to realize that extra efforts and a willingness to conform to new ideas could result in positive outcomes and hopefully they would associate all future decisions with the idea that awards may be available. I personally would be more receptive to contributing to a change process if I knew that my cooperation and good attitude would be awarded.

The third aspect of the theory is my favourite. It involves ensuring that positive affirmation is professed to the employees involved in the change process. I think that it is very important that the staff feel that they are a wanted presence within the organization. Some individuals may feel that a big change would warrant the entrance and exit of employees and it would be beneficial to give them the extra confidence that their jobs would be secure.....with hard work in return of course!
Till next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment