Sunday, 10 June 2012

1-1 : Evolving Management Positions

My MNGT 255-Intro to Management class requires me to develop reflective responses to various textbook readings, video recordings and course module components. My first entry corresponds with a section featured in our course textbook (Essentials of Contemporary Management-3rd Canadian Edition). 

“Now It’s Your Turn” refers to the managerial approaches of “opposable” and "oppositional” thinking. Our textbook describes “opposable thinking” as the practice of being able to maintain various viewpoints, allowing for problems to be pointed out and in turn using an integrative method to handle the problem. This approach is a more current and present day attitude towards managing. The “old school” way deals with the aforementioned “oppositional thinking” approach. This concept seems more cut and dry….less patience or desire to search for various solutions to a problem. It appears to have an attitude of “it’s either A or B that will fix the problem, there is no C!”

                                       
source noted below
*article attached


I will always remember my first job at 18. I got hired on as a maintenance worker at a golf course. The job description involved working from 5am-2pm Monday-Friday and I was responsible for cutting grass all day long! The golf course superintendant (manager) had set ideas about everything: mowing methods, public relations with golf course patrons, tournament maintenance planning, etc. Problems would arise with a complaint about a maintenance worker being in a golfer’s way, or the order of the greens being mowed was not time efficient. Some of the staff would discuss ways to improve the situation and also make everyone happy but the manager had his apparent ways of dealing with these situations, which of course were the “right” ways in his mind.


*(www.getprepped.com)

                                     

I have had other jobs since my golf course days, thank goodness! The last few years I have been employed in law office environments where supervisors/head management have been very open to an integrative approach for decision making/problem solving practices. I have a lot more enthusiasm and respect for a position within a company when I know that my ideas and those of my co-workers are being acknowledged and accepted as alternative solutions. I have enough experience in my work that I don’t just want to be controlled, but I want management to organize tasks and offer a leadership influence at the same time.
In the last 11 years of my participation in the labour market, there has been a significant change in management roles. I think that this is due to:
-increased education of both managers and employees-individuals are more knowledgeable and better able to delegate and handle situations. They have a better grasp on the concepts of management and leadership.
-changes in the economy- some companies may be watching their pennies a little more. They might not be in a position to hire as many managers to fill various positions. Therefore, more decision making and responsibility is given to staff in general and people are being persuaded to “think outside the box”.

*www.victoriasprthoughts.wordpress.com

                                             
If I woke up tomorrow and got a phone call with someone offering me a management position, I would respond like a deer caught in headlights! I can’t help it! I have taken 10 online courses through SAIT and have 2 previous years of University. I am gaining a great deal of practical knowledge, but I am lacking in the confidence to successfully manage people in a face-to-face setting. In preparation to become a future manager I would:
-continue my online courses and achieve my Business Administration diploma;
-work through a Bachelor of Commerce Degree;
-seek out additional training through Fred Pryor seminars (our law office gets program information from them all the time! They provide training programs for project management, stress management, public relations, human resource management, etc.)
-perform the necessary research of successful managers to gain a better understanding of what makes them tick!  I find it very motivating to follow the careers of some famous business people. See below :)
Shelley Broader-CEO of Walmart Canada Inc.

Mark Cuban-Shark Tank
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-11-17/news/17911112_1_cuban-insider-federal-court
Oprah Winfrey
 

No comments:

Post a Comment